As I predicted, a deal has been reached for Vissel striker Yoshito Okubo to move to Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.
Club Chairmain Adachi gave a statement last night which I will summarize in real English below.
"Wolfsburg expressed their interest in the player in November and we basically decided then to let him go if they offered us enough cash. They did so 3 days ago. Okubo himself had clearly expressed his desire to leave so we obliged."
Although I am not sorry to see him go, I fear that the club will not replace him with a top striker. Leandro's form was crap last year, and injury-prone Ganaha (new signing from Frontale) can hardly be called "great". If Vissel have ambitions for a top 5 finish (last year's target!), we have got to sign a TOP-CLASS striker.
By the way, I noticed that Shinji Kagawa is still a Cerezo player!
1. He is only 19!
2. He is now a regular in the national squad.
3. He is one of the best MF/FW players in Japan. (see 2.)
4. His best position is on the left (where Okubo started all last year!).
5. His club Cerezo failed to gain promotion to J1.
6. He is from Tarumi, in KOBE!!!!!